At SANDOW, we know the key to being the best is to hire the best. We are looking for passionate, driven, committed talent to deliver exceptional performance.
Working for innovative, groundbreaking brands in an entrepreneurial environment requires a what-it-takes mentality to get the job done. At SANDOW, there is always opportunity to shine and, in return, we reward stellar employees with competitive compensation, attractive perks, and the ability to take on new challenges - even if it is outside your wheelhouse. If you have got the chops, we'll take notice and provide the pathway to grow your career faster than you ever imagined possible.
Want to join us? Keep reading.
Material Bank is a new business unit within SANDOW that is setting out to change the way A&D specifiers get their work done. Using the platform, architects and designers can perform complex searches across hundreds of manufacturers in seconds. Samples can then be requested and delivered the next morning!
If being a part of building a game changing, new business within an established parent company excites you, take a look at what Material Bank has to offer.
Material Bank is seeking a Sustainability Research Specialist for our NYC office.
In this role, the Sustainability Research Specialist will be responsible for developing and maintaining a unique Material Bank point of view on environmental and health attributes for a database of architectural and interior design materials by appropriately balancing industry standards and user needs. The successful candidate will have a deep understanding and knowledge of U.S. and international sustainability standards within specific material categories such as textiles, wall coverings, flooring, etc.
- Evaluate and enter environmental and health attributes for each material during the material intake process
- Direct the ongoing life-cycle management of environmental and health attributes in the database by conducting regular database maintenance and normalization of data
- Remain ahead of the ever-evolving U.S. and international sustainability standards and adapt the Material Bank database to match this evolution
- Become a knowledge leader on sustainability standards practiced by the Architecture and Design community with continual research and communication with outside organizations
- 5-7 years working experience related to the design industry
- Have a current and comprehensive understanding of the design and materials industry
- Skilled in the art of visually inspecting materials and identifying key attributes, such as the brand and type of manufacturing
- Familiarity with material fabrication and finishing processes
- Strong understanding of material ingredients and their environmental and health impacts
- Knowledgeable in cross referencing hazardous chemical lists such as Red List and Mindful Materials
- Familiarity with certificates and standards including International Well Building Institute, NSF/ANSI Facts Certification, Cradle to Cradle, Greenguard, SCS Global Services, and the Living Building Challenge
- Capability of interpreting material attributes and qualities that contribute towards LEED points
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with an open and adaptable work ethic – flexible to changing priorities and deadlines
- Detail oriented and highly organized with digital mediums
- A passion for materials and love for the design industry
- LEED Green Associate or LEED AP is a plus
- Active participation in industry associations, attendance at trade shows, or other industry related organizations
SANDOW was founded by visionary entrepreneur Adam Sandow in 2003 with the goal of building a truly innovative media company that would reinvent the traditional publishing model. Today, SANDOW is a fully integrated solutions platform that includes leading content, tools, and services, powering innovation for the design and luxury industries. Its diverse portfolio of media assets includes Interior Design, Luxe Interiors + Design, Galerie, and NewBeauty. Materials Innovation brands include global materials consultancy, Material Connexion, game-changing material sampling and logistics platform, Material Bank, and materials reclamation program, Sample Loop. SANDOW brands also include research and strategy firm, ThinkLab. In 2019, SANDOW was selected by the New York Economic Development Council of New York to become the official operator of NYCxDESIGN Week, beginning in 2020.